Data over the last few years suggests that San Antonio leads the nation in drunk driving arrests; in fact, from 2009 to 2018, the city of San Antonio had the highest DWI/DUI arrest rate among U.S. cities with 5,181 arrests per 100,000 people, for a total of 77,357 arrests, according to SmartAdvocate. This leads to the important question: What precautions are being taken to prevent driving while intoxicated (DWI) in Texas?
6 Ways the Government Is Helping in the Fight Against DWI
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has published numerous strategies for how Texas and other states can—and oftentimes do—curb DWIs by raising awareness and better targeting this infraction. Among their suggested methods of curtailing DWIs are:
- Stricter Legislation: First and foremost, laws are the primary way to prevent any unsafe behavior. This goes for any activity that puts others at risk. For instance, in Texas, the maximum legal blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level is .08%, and the punishments for DWI are more severe than in some other states.
- Sobriety Checkpoints: The police might set up these checkpoints in certain places and at high-risk times to verify the sobriety of drivers, regardless of suspicion.
- Saturation Patrols: Similar to the sobriety checkpoints, saturation patrols involve increased police vehicles that focus on areas of the city where drunk driving is more common.
- Ignition Interlocks for Offenders: When an ignition interlock device is installed on a car, the vehicle will not start if the person behind the wheel has been drinking. In addition to the inconvenience, the social stigma of the device can be a deterrent, as well.
- Treatment Referrals: Texas law provides harsh penalties for a DWI conviction, but in some cases, substance abuse treatment could be effective. For those with multiple DWIs on their records, treatment can help them get to the root of the problem and prevent future instances of driving drunk.
- Education: Educating the young and other people about DWI, their dangers, and their consequences is a good, proactive approach to preventing the mindset that encourages drunk driving. The government and awareness campaigns have made significant progress in this area over the last few decades. has been making major efforts with this for decades.
Contact a San Antonio DWI Lawyer
The reality is that most people are aware of the dangers associated with drinking and driving. However, all it takes is a single lapse in judgment, and you could be facing charges that can affect the rest of your life. If you have been charged with DWI in or around San Antonio, you need an experienced Texas DWI defense attorney on your side. Call 888-726-5625 for a free consultation. The knowledgeable team at the Law Offices of Sam H. Lock will help you fight those charges and get the outcome you need to move on with your life....