Front Line Defense with Mothers Against Drunk Driving® - How Everyone Can Aid in the Campaign
Mothers Against Driving® or MADD, the nation’s largest non-profit organization dedicated to protecting families from those choosing to drive while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, at last count posted 600 official chapters across the United States, Texas included.
Currently in the great state of Texas alone, MADD® currently covers each navigational region as offices can be found in such Texas cities as
- El Paso,
- San Antonio, and
Following the death of a founding member’s daughter due to an alcohol-related crash on September 5, 1980, MADD has been promoting their message of no more victims and has recently published viable information for the public to become involved in their campaign.
How to Identify a Possible Impaired Driver
- Erratic acceleration or deceleration,
- Following too closely or tailgating another vehicle,
- Erratic driving patterns or zig-zagging across their designated lane,
- Driving on the shoulder of their designated lane,
- Sudden stops or erratic braking,
- Slow response times at traffic signals,
- Driving over or under the designated speed limit, or
- Non-signaling and quick or illegal turns.
How to Report a Suspected Impaired Driver
- Do not confront the driver and stay as far away as possible,
- Do not attempt to pass the driver at any time,
- Do note the infractions that lead to your suspicions,
- Do take notice of the license plate number,
- Do note the model and color of the vehicle,
- Do note the location of the incident,
- Do pull your vehicle over and call 911.
Front Line Due Diligence - Preventing a Friend from Driving Under the Influence
- Remain as non-confrontational as possible,
- Remember the person you are reasoning is impaired,
- Talk slowly and provide examples of why driving is not an option,
- Remind the person your involvement is because you care,
- Enlist the help of others,
- Offer alternative suggestions for getting home,
- Offer a safe haven for the evening,
- Calmy request and hold their keys, and if all else fails,
- Call local law enforcement for assistance.
MADD is dedicated to decreasing the number of senseless deaths due to driving while under the influence and strives to honor the voices of victims across the nation. MADD also offers a toll-free 24-Hour Victim Help Line, 1-877-MADD-HELP to those who have been affected by drunk or drugged driving.
If you reside in the Central or South Texas areas and are facing DWI charges, San Antonio DWI defense attorney, Sam H. Lock understands the complexity and scope of recent enacted Texas state laws involving DWI’s. For a free consultation, contact the Law Offices of Sam H. Lock at 210-226-0965.